Monday 23 January 2017

"Guess Who's back, Back Again, Coleys's Back. Read My... Post..."

***Grim photo at the end***


How long has it been since i blessed you with one of my posts? Last post seen me with a recently extracted sewing needle and 5 stitches in the ball of my foot, no?

Well, i can safely say that i'm back and will not be sewing- EVER AGAIN!!! 

When i got my stitches out, the nurse pulled the wound apart and it was only then that we discovered how far the A&E doc dug to get it out. It was pretty grimmmmm. As a direct result, infection became inevitable. Back to the hospital i went, and this time i came out with crutches. (the most awkward, and not to mention tiring pieces of equipment I've ever used in my life!). All in all i had a 4 weekends off work, lost my Christmas bonus and couldn't run, or go anywhere for that matter- for 5 weeks. Me, being a particularly active person, this was like a prison sentence.

All in all, i had a good enough Christmas, but as always dreaded my Nan's death anniversary on Christmas eve. This was the day i desperately wanted to run, so i could just try and run out the grief and upsetting waves of emotions. 

With that, i knew that i'd lost my running mojo and a lot of running fitness overall. I'd had a lot of time to weight up the pros and cons of continuing to train and run the Manchester Marathon in April. The cons outweighed the pros to my dismay. I'd lost 4 weeks pay and had yet to pay for the £200+ hotel at Trafford Hall, as well as the train tickets for both me and Jake to travel up there. I could have put it on my overdraft and just winging the race, but i though to myself. It's a fast course and i wanted it to be PB perfection. There was no way i could get myself up to that standard. All of this happened when i hit a low point in my recovery and gained the infection in the wound. I sold my place to local AC Northbrooker and i wish her luck in her 1st Marathon!

My first training run consisted of a 1 mile 14 run on the 29th December. I kept it stumme because of external factors and the fact my foot was still open and i was still on antibiotics. I was going insane- it just had to be done I'm afraid. We as runners always seem to go against the Doctors orders with injuries. We are a stubborn bunch! Anyway, this run was so difficult. I've experienced having time off running prior yeah, but i was mobile and able to walk about; still do my daily routine without excruciating pain. But because i'd been refined to limited mobility, on crutches and basically not being able to leave my house, it was only natural that the first run was going to be a difficult one. I took this on board as i left. i felt like i was running, but not gaining much ground. I got back, panting like i'd smoked 100 a day, but my oh my. My endorphin rush was incredible. I felt like i'd just completed a half marathon! I clocked in at 11:32 for the whole 1 mile 14. Which wasn't bad, then i thought. Yeah right could you do that pace for another 2 or three of those? Absolutely f-ing not. 

My next run was New Years Eve. 2 miles recorded. Mile 1- 8:50 pace, but it was mostly downhill. Second mile- 10:01. A little incline 368ft to 407ft. I was dying, my lack of fitness protruded due to my heart rate reading an average of 180 p/m, when before on December, with one of my fastest first 2 miles, i averaged out at 164 beats p/m! Mad Times!

I attended my mums Spin class on the Monday, which i found particularly difficult. It was absolutely packed of New Year, New Me's. The 0 windows in the studio did not help my unfit self. But fear not... i still peddled my heart out! 

The next day i went on the same 2 miler as the above and came out with a time of 18:18. Which was about 45 seconds faster than the above. I still felt blurr, but i knew that i was easing myself back steadily. 

Saturday the 7th i took on my first gym sesh. 1 hour and 30 minutes of pure isolation and weight work. No cardio. I also learnt how to deadlift! 

Sunday- another 2 miler at the same time as the above- so strange. 

Monday spin class, less peoples. i was getting back into some sense of normality. 

Friday 13th, what a day to decide to go out and have a run. I decided i'd ran enough 2 milers to be able to up the mileage. I took on my first 5km since my foot. Nice downhill on the first mile. Clocking in at a lovely 8:17 min mile. Second mile- 9:47, and the third 9:26. Not too shabby really. But the total accent was only 105ft. But i produced a sound 28:23 5km. Considering my fastest on my TomTom is 28:10, i was impressed. 


On the Monday, I'd left my bike at work (I was so glad to be back to work also!), so i decided to run commute to the Village Hotel. I ran 1.54 miles in 13:47, done my class for an hour and then ran back (this was one pretty relaxed and laid back, due to my energy levels feeling quite depleted). This one measured up at 1.63 miles. So a 3.09 mile run which fitted nicely with my half marathon training for the Anglesey Half in March. (which i nearly died when i checked how many weeks away i was from it). 

With my exams taking priority, i left my next training session after i'd sat my last one, because i was revising every minute of every waking hour. Friday 20th, i ran another 5km. My legs just would not go. It was like the Road Runner cartoon when he rotates his legs before abruptly shooting off. But all that negativity, paradoxically produced a 28:11 result. 1 second off my PB. 

Saturday, i trained after finishing work at 7:30pm. I did a 2 mile fartlek session at speed 10 for one minute and then, i was kind to myself. Provided this was my first speed session of the year and resisted to a recovery of 45 seconds at speed 8! After this, i did some isolation and weight work. 

Sunday, i had a 7 and a half hour shift at work and was dreading my first long run of my training schedule. My legs and booty were in a state of absolute fatigue. So, when i cycled home i commanded myself not to sit down, get ready straight away and just get it over and done with. I'd made up a new running route too! I produced a healthy 48:53 5 miler and was left thinking how i'd preformed if id have had one or two days rest! Like, no jokes, my legs and bum were burning with each stride, but like i say with recovery, i can most definitely bring that time down a notch... maybe 48:00. 

Aye, i'm finally up to date with my blog again! Today, Monday. I got to make the Spin Class playlist. I was left on a high due to all the positive feed back from the members and contemplating that if my future of being a History teacher doesn't work out, i'd just do my fitness instructor level 2 and 3 and follow in my mothers footsteps. I'm actually so gutted. You have to hold the above before you can be certified in instructing a indoor cycling class... Bro, i don't mean to blow my own trumpet, but i have been spinning since the age of 13. That's nearly a decade of experience right there! And in addition, i have been around the fitness environment since the age of like 6. 

The above was all due to my beautiful mother, my love of fitness has spanned from her. I thank her so much for this, as i know many that hate physical activity. You may have a qualified mini me in the making! 

My Running calendar (up to date) goes as follows:

  • Anglesey Half- March 5th
  • Solihull Half- April 2nd
  • Wolf Run- April 8th 
  • Great Birmingham 10km- 30th April 
  • (A possible) Two Castes which they've changed to ballot entry- 11th June
  • Birmingham Black Country Half- July 1st 
  • Kenilworth Half- 3rd September
  • Birmingham International Marathon- 15th October
I am wanting to find an event in May and also gain my Alpha Wolf Running status too this year. But we shall see.

As always, i thank you for reading my blog and hope you have a good week. My next post will be just before the Anglesey and then obviously a review write up of my experience running it! 




















No comments:

Post a Comment